From thermoformed medical kits & trays to form-fill-seal unit dosing pods and blister packs, our XPP Medical polypropylene rollstock offers a drop-in solution compatible with existing systems & process for PS & PVC replacement made easy. Simplified and safe, our XPP Medical Solutions help Medical OEM companies achieve PS & PVC replacement goals with a sustainable and recyclable solution that maintains performance and controls cost.
Polystyrene and PVC have historically been the material of choice for a vast range of medical and pharmaceutical packaging applications – from diagnostic kits and sterile barrier trays, to form-fill-seal unit-dosing pods, and much more. But lack of recycling options and sustainability challenges coupled with health and safety concerns regarding the Styrene and Ethylbenzene present in PS, as well as the inclusion of PS in California’s Proposition 65, and presence of chloride and heavy metals in PVC, have resulted in initiatives to replace these common medical packaging materials.
Previous attempts to develop replacements for PS and PVC in these applications with traditional PP or PET have resulted in solutions that cost more, fall short on performance, cause processing issues or require significant capital expenditure to modify existing equipment – until now.
Enter XPP Medical Solutions for safe & sustainable PS & PVC replacement. ICPG’s XPP™ polypropylene is a revolutionary mono-material rollstock solution that maintains all of the positive attributes of current PS and PVC materials – processing, function, safety, quality, cost – in the form of a more sustainable and recyclable solution that offers drop-in process compatibility for PS & PVC replacement made easy.
Inherent improvements to barrier properties without the use of specialty barrier materials or coatings resulting in structure simplification and extended shelf-life potential:
– 90/90% improvement in OTR/MVTR vs traditional PP
– 100/150% improvement in OTR/MVTR vs PS
– Comparable MVTR vs PET/PET-G
– Comparable MVTR vs PVC
– Coextrusion with EVOH for high barrier shelf-stable applications
Enhancements to key functional properties offer process compatibility with existing thermoforming & form-fill-seal equipment & processes:
– Compatible with existing trimming & cutting stations
– Minimal CAPEX for equipment & tooling modifications
– No loss in cycle times or through-put
High stiffness attributes provide similar characteristics to current PS packaging functionality & processing:
– Maintains PS “snapability” & “scorability” for FFS
– Increased flex modulus/stiffness of 450,000 Psi vs 300,000 Psi for PS
– Controlled shrinkage mitigates downstream processing issues
– Compatibility with laser etching processes
Enhanced properties result in a clean, safe & simplified solution with using no additives, mineral fillers, or specialty coatings providing:
– Compatible with medical sterilization processes including EtO and autoclave
– Compatible with disinfectants including hydrogen peroxide & steam sterilization
– Produced from non-toxic polypropylene materials
– Free from BPAs, Styrene & Ethylbenzene
– Compliant with Proposition 65 guidelines
With XPP you don’t have to choose. Our mono-material XPP Medical Solutions maintain all of the positive attributes of current materials: processing, function, barrier protection, quality – all the form of a more sustainable, recyclable and cost effective solution vs PS, PVC and PET/PET-G alternatives.
Light-weight PP-based solutions promote improved sustainability profile & a reduced carbon footprint vs heavier materials like PS, PVC & PET/PET-G:
– Less CO2 equivalents by weight
– Less solid waste by weight
– Lower fuel consumption & lower emissions
In comparison to other barrier material structures produced from a complex mix of materials, XPP solutions are produced from polypropylene materials resulting in a more recycle-friendly solution. Comparative barrier materials such as HIPS/PVDC must be identified using the Resin ID Code #7, which limits opportunities for recycling and re-use in other applications.
XPP Polypropylene Solutions are:
– Identifiable as RIC #5 for both enhanced barrier & high barrier
– Structures pre-qualified with How2Recycle
– Non-mineral filled structures maintain PP density & ability to sort for recycling
Light-weight and low-density XPP material solutions offer a 12% density reduction in comparison to PS and a 30% density reduction in comparison to PET. This density reduction results in a higher yield (more parts) during thermoforming processes, reduced cost and reduced material consumption in comparison to PS and PET:
– 1,000,000 lbs PP = 1,120,000 lbs PS
– 1,000,000 lbs PP = 1,310,000 lbs PVC
– 1,000,000 lbs PP = 1,340,000 lbs PET/PET-G
Multilayer Coextruded Rollstock
Thin-gauge Extrusion Capabilities From .015” – .080’”
Custom Opaque Colors
Custom Finish, Incl. Gloss, Smooth, Matte & Haircell
Clear and Clear-tinted Materials
UV/light Degradation Additives
Learn about our longstanding commitment to clean, quality, fully-certified manufacturing processes.Find Out More
Uncover an expertly crafted collection of technical, material and process know-how in the Innovative Insights Blog.Find Out More
Trying something brand new? Tap into our onsite technical support services to help you through the development process – one material at a time.Find Out More
Explore exactly what your custom materials are capable of. Explore our portfolio of specialty additives and innovative materials.Find Out More